The temperatures are rising, the sun is shining, the orchards are blooming, and the wildflowers are displaying their magnificent colors. In the Bavarian-themed mountain town of Leavenworth, WA we celebrate the arrival of Spring with the annual Maifest celebration that lasts all weekend long starting this Friday afternoon.
Join the fun on Front St. and browse local arts and crafts during Village Art in the Park, listen to live traditional German music at the Gazebo, and watch the “Festzug” “(or Grand March) on Saturday, as well as the traditional Maibaum Dance where dancers weave colorful ribbons around the maipole in the center of town. This is one of Leavenworth’s most popular annual festivals featuring fun for the entire family including bouncy houses and a climbing wall just for the kids!
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Friday, May 9:
- All weekend long enjoy Village Art in the Park and Climb for Fun’s bouncy houses and climbing wall
- Enjoy traditional German music by AlpenFolk and make a Bavarian hat or ribbon crown (5-8pm)
- At 6pm the Tirolean Dancers will teach a traditional German dance
Saturday, May 10:
- Fuel up at the Lion’s Club breakfast (7-11am) before making your way to the Cascade Garden Club’s annual plant sale (8am-2pm)
- The Bavarian-inspired “Festzug” (or Grand March) at 12pm will feature the German Medieval Knights of Veritas, Bernese Mountain Dogs, horse-drawn wagons, a few classic Porsches, some local goats, the townsfolk dressed in their Bavarian best, and much more
- Following the Festzug, the Tirolean Dancers will perform a traditional Maibaum Dance – gracefully weaving colorful ribbons around the maipole in the center of town – and in the afternoon they will teach a traditional German dance and perform again
- The Knights of Veritas will have German Medieval antiques and replicas on display, and will perform a 60-minute longsword battle presentation and mini-trebuchet demonstration
- 356 Group Northwest will have their classic Porsches on display – German design at its best
- The “Bavaria’s Best Dressed” contest will honor those dressed in their Bavarian best with prizes for participants in each age category
- Leavenworth’s Rotary Club will draw the winner for a trip for two to Bavaria
- Throughout town find live German music by AlpenFolk and Musikkapelle Leavenworth, a Mother’s Day recycled craft hosted by Icicle Arts, Leavenworth’s famous hanging flower baskets, and a station where you can make your own “Leavenworthy” basket
Sunday, May 11:
- Celebrate spring and Mom with a free gift for moms, music by AlpenFolk, and additional dance performances (including a repeat Maibaum Dance at 12pm) and lessons by the Tirolean Dancers
A complete festival schedule can be downloaded from the Leavenworth Chamber of Commerce at http://www.leavenworth.org/event/Maifest-2014.
Icicle TV has had a blast at previous Maifest celebrations and we look forward to seeing all your smiling faces downtown this weekend! As always, feel free to share your best photos with the community on the Icicle TV Facebook page! Hooray for Spring!